- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 80 ml olive oil
- 3 large banana shallots, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 500 g mutton, or minced lamb
- 100 g carrots, diced
- 100 g wild mushrooms, sliced
- 250 ml veal stock
- 100 ml red wine
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
For the pomme puree
- 800 g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled
- 4 bay leaves
- 50 g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 egg yolks
- 50 ml double cream
- black pepper
- 60 g parmesan, for the topping
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the shallots and garlic until golden.
2. Add the minced meat to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, until browned, stirring well with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the carrots and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
4. Stir in the mushrooms, stock, red wine and thyme. Cook for 20 minutes or so, until the meat is cooked and the mixture has thickened. Spoon into an ovenproof serving dish.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Put the potatoes into a large pan of salted water and add the bay leaves. Bring to the boil and cook for about 20 minutes, until softened. Drain and spread on a baking tray. Place in the oven for 15 minutes, to dry out.
6. Pass through a potato ricer.
7. Stir in the melted butter, egg yolks and cream. Season to taste.
8. Increase the oven temperature to 200C/gas 6. Pipe the potato mixture over the meat and scatter over the Parmesan.
9. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a hot grill. Grill for 4-5 minutes, until the top is golden and serve.
Rate This Recipe