- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus chilling and cooling
- Effort: easy
- 6 trifle sponges
- 4 rounded tbsp raspberry jam
- 50 ml sherry, or to taste
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 25 g caster sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 450 ml double cream
- halved or chopped walnuts
- glacé cherries
Tips and Suggestions
If you fancy something a little more fruity, try adding fresh or frozen berries to the trifle before you pour on the custard.
1. Place the sponge fingers at the bottom of a large glass bowl and pour over the sherry, making sure that the sponge is evenly soaked.
2. Put the raspberry jam on top and spread evenly over the sponge.
3. For the custard: Put the egg yolk, cornflour and caster sugar into a bowl and leave to one side. Heat the milk until it is almost boiling and then pour over the egg yolks, stirring all the time.
4. Pour the mix back into the pan and heat on a very low heat, stirring all the time until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Add the vanilla essence and then pour the custard into the trifle bowl so that it covers the sponge. Leave on one side to set and cool.
5. Lightly whip the cream and spread over the cool custard. Chill overnight.
6. Arrange the cherries and walnuts on top before serving.
Rate This Recipe