- Serves: makes 750g pastry approx.
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 30 mins chilling
- Effort: medium
- 500 g plain flour
- 250 g butter, or half each of butter and lard, diced
- 4-8 tbsp iced water
For the herby alternative
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- finely grated zest of 1 oranges
1. Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
2. Using a knife, cut the fat into the flour until evenly blended; then begin to lightly rub the fat into flour using your fingertips. When the mixture resembles breadcrumbs sprinkle with a little water.
3. Using a knife bind the ingredients together, then finish with your hands to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes before using.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
5. Remove the dough from the fridge, and when at room temperature, roll out on a lightly floured surface until the thickness of a £1 coin.
6. Line a tart tin, pressing the dough into the sides. Pierce the surface with a fork and brush with beaten egg yolk.
7. Place on a baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden.
For the herby pastry: add the ground cumin with the flour and salt. Add the orange zest after the fat and before the water.
Rate This Recipe