- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 red chilli, very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice, plus extra to squeeze over scallops
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp unflavoured oil, such as groundnut oil
- pinch sugar
- 1 head kale, stalks removed and leaves very finely shredded
- splash olive oil, for frying
- 6 large scallops
For the parsnip crisps
- 1 small parsnip, peeled
- oil, for deep-frying
1. In a bowl, whisk together the chilli, vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, groundnut oil and a pinch of sugar until well combined.
2. Add the kale and toss until well coated with the dressing. Taste and adjust the dressing as necessary.
3. For the parsnip crisps: use a vegetable peeler to peel thin strips from the parsnip until it is all used up. Pat the strips dry on kitchen roll.
4. Heat the oil for deep-frying to 180C, then deep-fry the strips until golden and crisp ' watch them carefully as they will brown quite quickly. Remove and drain on kitchen roll and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
5. Add a splash of olive oil into a heavy-based frying pan and, once very hot, add the scallops and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until a golden crust has formed on both sides and the scallops are only just cooked through.
6. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice, spooning it over the scallops.
7. To serve, arrange the dressed kale on 2 serving plates, top with the scallops and scatter over the parsnip crisps.
Rate This Recipe