- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the sweet fish sauce dressing:
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small red chilli, chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 125 ml lime juice
For the coconut dressing:
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ spring onions
- 125 ml coconut cream
- ½ tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp palm sugar
For the noodles:
- 2 tbsp dried shrimps, available in specialist Asian stores
- 100 g vermicelli noodles
- 3 leaves of iceberg lettuce, finely sliced
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 1 small cucumber, cut into thin batons
- 1 handfuls basil and mint leaves
- unsalted roasted peanuts, crushed
1. For the sweet fish sauce dressing: Pound the garlic, chilli, sugar and a pinch of sea salt together in a large mortar or bowl. Add the fish sauce and lime juice, mix well and set aside.
2. For the coconut dressing: Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the spring onion and saute for 30 seconds. Now add the coconut cream, cornflour mixture, palm sugar and a pinch of sea salt. Stir for 30 seconds, until the mixture comes to the boil and thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. For the noodles: Soak the dried shrimp in a little boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain. Pound the shrimp in a mortar until it begins to break down. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat and stand the noodles in the water for 5 minutes. Drain well, rinse under cold water, then drain well again.
5. Divide the lettuce, bean sprouts, cucumber and herbs among four individual bowls. Top with the noodles, then the shrimp, then toss the salads separately. Now add 2 tablespoons of the sweet fish sauce dressing and 2 tablespoons of the thickened coconut dressing to each bowl. Garnish each with the peanuts and serve.
Rate This Recipe