- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 medium red onion, very finely sliced
- 2 large oranges
- 200 g baby spinach
- 85 g bag watercress
- 225 g blue cheese, such as shropshire, cut into chunks
- 50 g blanched almonds
Tips and Suggestions
Blue stilton or white cheshire would make good substitutes for the shropshire blue used in this recipe. If you like, use a couple of bags of spinach and watercress salad, instead of buying them separately.
1. In a large salad bowl, mix together the olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the red onion and stir well.
2. Using a serrated knife, peel the oranges, removing all the pith. Do this over the salad bowl so that you catch all the drops of orange juice. Segment the oranges with the knife to remove all the membrane, adding them to the bowl with the juice.
3. Put the spinach and watercress into the salad bowl. Toss together to coat in the dressing. Add the chunks of blue cheese.
4. Toast the almonds, either under the grill or in a heavy-based frying pan, until they begin to brown lightly. Tip onto the salad whilst hot, then serve immediately.
Recipe and image provided by The British Cheese Board
Rate This Recipe