- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 skate wings, trimmed to remove cartilage
- seasoned flour, for dusting
- olive oil, for frying
- 100 g brown shrimps, shells on
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- glug madeira
- 40 g butter
Tips and Suggestions
Skate skin must be removed before cooking - the fish has gritty, rough scales that don't scrape off like regular fish scales. Use a good pair of scissors to trim the skate, too.
If you cant get skate, you could use flounder or cod, and if you have no madeira, marsala or fino sherry would be suitable replacements.
1. Lightly coat both sides of the skate wing in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and cook the skate over a medium-high heat for 4 minutes on each side, turning carefully.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate frying pan heat about 2cm of oil. Toss the unshelled shrimps in seasoned flour and, when the oil is hot, fry them until crisp and golden. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Season with a little salt and pepper and mix with the chopped herbs.
3. Carefully transfer the cooked skate to warm serving plates and deglaze the pan with a good glug of madeira. Once it has reduced a little, add the butter and whisk to give an opaque sauce.
4. Spoon the sauce over the skate wings and top with the crispy shrimps before serving.
Rate This Recipe