- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1.3333333333333333 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 leg of lamb, around 2kg
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- tbsp small salted capers, rinsed
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 8 tbsp soft fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 sprigs rosemary
- 6 sprigs thyme
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
2. Holding the leg of lamb with its meatiest side towards you, use a sharp knife to cut right through the meat almost to the bone, at finger-width intervals.
3. Combine the parsley, anchovies, garlic, capers, lemon rind and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Add the olive oil and squish the mixture into a soft paste with your hands.
4. Push the stuffing into the lamb 'pockets' and tie with string to secure.
5. Scatter with rosemary and thyme, and drizzle with a little olive oil, before roasting for 20 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat to 190C/gas 5 and cook for a further hour.
7. Strain the juices into a bowl; cover the lamb with foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes, while you spoon off any surface fat from the juices.
8. When the lamb has rested, remove the string and carve across the leg, parallel to the bone; transfer to warmed dinner plates.
9. Drizzle with the juices and scatter with baby spinach leaves; serve accompanied by lemon wedges.
Rate This Recipe