- Serves: 2-3
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 30 mins soaking
- Effort: easy
- 10 g dried porcini
- 225 g mushrooms, such as dark-gilled open-cap, chestnut or girolles
- 175 ml cannaroli risotto rice, (use a measuring jug)
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 200 ml madeira, dry
- 200 ml evaporated milk, for example Carnation Light
- 1 pinches black pepper
1. First of all, give the dried mushrooms a quick rinse in a sieve under cold, running water, then place them in a heatproof bowl and pour 570ml boiling water over them. Then just leave them to soak and soften for about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, chop the fresh mushrooms into chunks - not too small, about 1cm, as they shrink quite a bit in the cooking. Now pre-heat the oven to 150°C/gas 2.
3. Next, put the shallots and the Madeira into a medium-sized saucepan, bring it up to simmering point and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, until the shallots have softened and the Madeira has reduced to about 2 tablespoons.
4. Then remove the pan from the heat, add the fresh mushrooms, stir well and then leave the pan on one side.
5. When the dried mushrooms have softened, line a sieve with a double layer of absorbent kitchen paper, place it over a bowl and strain them, reserving the liquid. Squeeze them to remove any excess liquid, then chop them fairly finely.
6. Next, put the rice into the 6cm deep baking dish, along with the dried and fresh mushrooms and shallots, then season well with salt and freshly milled black pepper.
7. Now whisk the evaporated milk into the reserved mushroom-soaking liquid, pour it over the rice and give it all a good stir. Place the dish on the centre shelf of the oven without covering, set a timer and give it exactly 20 minutes.
8. After that, gently stir and turn over the rice grains. Put the timer on again and give it a further 20-25 minutes' cooking - when ready, the risotto should be very slightly soupy, and the longer you leave it to stand, the thicker it will get, so, immediately it is ready, remove it from the oven and serve as soon as possible.
Per serving: 469 kcal, Fat 5.1 g, Saturates 0.1 g, Protein 16.5 g, Carbohydrate 68.6g
Visit DeliaOnline.com for more recipes from the programme
Rate This Recipe