- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 400 g fresh chestnuts
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 600 g boneless leg of lamb, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp strands saffron
- 5 tbsp chopped mint
- 100 g shelled walnuts, halved
- 200 ml pomegranate juice
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Cut a cross on the shell of each of the chestnuts. Place them on a baking tray and roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Peel the shells and skins off when they are cool.
3. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan and gently cook the onions for a few minutes, then add the turmeric and lamb and cook until the meat is browned, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the cinnamon, saffron, most of the mint, the walnuts, pomegranate juice and paprika. Mix well and finally add the stock. Simmer on a low heat for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
5. When the meat is tender, add the cooked chestnuts and lemon juice and season to taste. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
6. To serve: garnish with the remaining mint and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe