- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4x350 g mutton or lamb shanks
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 4 carrots, finely chopped
- head celery, finely chopped
- 12 shallots, finely chopped
- 200 g wild mushrooms, finely sliced
- 400 ml madeira
- 400 ml red wine
- 2 large oranges, zest and juice
- 600 ml lamb stock
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch parsley
For the champ
- 300 ml milk
- 1 bunch spring onion, chopped
- 500 g mashed potato
- 25 g butter
- ground white pepper
For the curly kale
- 2 Spanish onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 head curly kale, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 160C/gas 3.
2. Dust the mutton shanks with seasoned flour and the cep powder.
3. Heat the olive oil and butter in a roasting tin on the hob and lightly brown the mutton shanks on all sides. Remove and put to one side.
4. Tip the chopped vegetables into the roasting tray and soften gently in the fat, then add the mushrooms and lightly colour. Pour in the Madeira, the wine, the orange zest and juice and the lamb stock.
5. Put the shanks back into the liquid with the thyme and season. Cover with foil and cook slowly in the oven for 3 hours.
6. Once cooked, remove the mutton from the roasting tin, skim the excess fat off the sauce and reduce the cooking liquid by half on the hob for about 10 minutes. Once reduced, turn off the heat, put the mutton back into the liquid so that it stays warm and cooks to a glaze.
7. For the champ, bring the milk to the boil with the chopped spring onion. Remove from the heat and add the mashed potatoes, together with the butter, ground white pepper and a pinch of salt.
8. For the curly kale, soften the onion with olive oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the garlic and kale and toss through for 2 minutes. Add a ladle of the mutton stock and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
9. To serve, just place a mutton shank on each plate, with a little champ and curly kale on the side and the sauce poured over.
Rate This Recipe