- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the chilli:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 400 g canned pinto beans, drained
- 400 g canned black beans, drained
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 large handfuls tortilla chips
Tips and Suggestions
If using a slow cooker, follow the recipe instructions and cook for 5 hours on high or up to 8 hours on low. Turning up the heat and adding the beans for a final 10 minutes of cooking.
The liquid should be between halfway and three-quarters full. Very little evaporates so do not over fill.
1. Heat the oil in a medium casserole dish and saute the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Then add the garlic, chilli, chilli powder and cumin and cook for a further minute.
2. Stir through the peppers, sweet potatoes, chopped tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 1 hour over a gentle heat.
3. Remove the lid and pour over the beans. Stir well to combine and continue to cook uncovered for 10 minutes until the beans are cooked through and the sauce is thick.
4. Spoon into bowls and top with a tablespoon of sour cream, then scatter with spring onions and coriander. Top with slices of avocado and serve with tortilla chips.
Rate This Recipe