- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 shoulder of pork, approx 1.3 kg
- black pepper
For the braised red cabbage:
- 1 red cabbage, cored and chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 14 ml calvados
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 15 ml cider vinegar
- 25 g unsalted butter
For the hasselback potatoes:
- 8 Maris Piper potatoes
- 25 g thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- black pepper
- 40 g butter
- 75 ml dry white wine
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC/gas 3.
2. Season the pork with salt and freshly ground pepper, rubbing salt into the crackling.
3. Place the pork in a roasting tray and roast for 3 hours 30 minutes. If the crackling begins to scorch, cover it with foil.
4. Meanwhile, braise the red cabbage. Place the red cabbage, apple, Calvados, onion and cider in a cassrole dish. Dot with the butter.
5. Cover the cabbage and cook gently for 1 hour 30 minutes on the stove, stirring now and then.
6. Prepare the hasselback potatoes. Peel the potatoes and slice off the base enabling them to sit flat.
7. Push a skewer through the centre of each potatoes lengthways, 1cm up from the base.
8. Using a sharp knife, slice each potato vertically 12 times, cutting down to the skewers.
9. Sprinkle the thyme, garlic, sea salt and freshly ground pepper over a roasting tray. Place the potatoes on top, dot each one with butter and sprinkle over the white wine.
10. Increase the oven temperature to 200ºC/gas 4, covering the pork with foil if not already covered.
11. Roast the hasselback potatoes for 40 minutes until golden and cooked through.
12. Remove the roast pork after 30 minutes at 200ºC/gas 4. Cover and set aside to rest, keeping warm.
13. Serve the pork with the braised red cabbage and hasselback potatoes.
Rate This Recipe