- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1.2 kg butternut squash, or sweet dumpling squash, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, for roasting
- 1 large head of fennel
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- small bunch coriander, washed, leaves picked, roots removed and stalks finely chopped
- 6 small handfuls of wild rocket salad, and watercress mix, washed
- 1/2 frisée lettuce, washed, leaves trimmed and separated
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, halved and sliced finely
- small red chilli
- handful toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 cm piece ginger, root, grated, juice squeezed out
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 90 ml extra virgin olive oil, or pumpkin seed oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp shoyu sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
Tips and Suggestions
Store any remaining dressing in a jar in the fridge - it will keep for up to a month.
This dish will go well with a glass of medium dry white wine, such as Cono Sur Gewürztraminer.
1. Pre heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 5.
2. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper, place squash on top and toss in olive oil salt and pepper.
3. Slow roast for 50-60 minutes until tender (but not mushy), turning once. Remove and allow to cool.
4. Remove the tough outer layer of the fennel, keeping the fronds for garnish. Cut in half lengthways, then finely slice across the width to make half rings. Store the root for stock and dunk the rings immediately in cold water with the lemon juice to avoid discolouring. Set aside.
5. Mix all dressing ingredients together, either by whisking in a bowl or shaking thoroughly in a sealed container. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
6. In a large mixing bowl carefully fold pumpkin wedges in just enough dressing to coat evenly and add half the chopped coriander stalks.
7. Mix all salad leaves, onion and fennel rings well, then spread out evenly in a large wide salad dish, reserving half the coriander leaves for garnish.
8. Place all the roast squash wedges on top of leaves pointing towards the centre.
9. Slice red chilli into fine ringed pieces and toss over the pumpkin wedges
10. Drizzle a generous amount of dressing over salad, then garnish with the remaining coriander leaves, chopped stalks, sesame seeds and fennel fronds.
Recipe provided by Cono Sur wines
Rate This Recipe