- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 3 hours 40 minutes plus 10 minutes resting time
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 sprigs rosemary, leaves only
- olive oil, for mixing
- 1 lamb shoulder, boned and tied, about 1.5kg
- 6 anchovies, in olive oil
- 400 g pearl onions, or small shallots, peeled
- 250 ml lamb stock
- braised buttered cavolo nero or savoy cabbage, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1.
2. In a mortar and pestle, combine the garlic, rosemary leaves, a good dash of olive oil, a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and grind until a paste forms.
3. Make some rough slashes in the lamb shoulder and massage the garlic mix into the meat, pushing it into the slashes. Push a piece of anchovy fillet into each slash.
4. In a casserole dish that fits the lamb snugly, heat some olive oil and cook the onions until golden. Put the lamb on top and pour over the stock, cover the casserole dish, transfer it to the oven and roast for 3 hours.
5. Remove the lid, increase the temperature to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and cook for a further 30 minutes until the top of the lamb is browned a little.
6. Remove the lamb from the oven and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes in a warm place.
7. To serve, slice the lamb into thick slices or chunks, spoon over any pan juices and onions, and accompany with braised buttered cavolo nero or savoy cabbage.
Rate This Recipe