- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 lamb shoulder, about 1.75kg
- olive oil, for frying
- 20 baby onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 tbsp thyme, leaves only
- 500 ml lamb stock
- 100 ml 8-year aged balsamic vinegar
- buttery mashed potato, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 120C/100C fan/gas ½. Score the lamb shoulder with a sharp knife, and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Heat a little oil in a large casserole and brown the shoulder on all sides. Cut the carrots and garlic in half and add them to the casserole, tucking them underneath the meat. Sprinkle the thyme over the veg and meat and cover with the lid. Transfer to the oven for 4 hours.
3. Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, fry the baby onions until browned all over.
4. Once the lamb has cooked for 4 hours, add the stock, balsamic vinegar and baby onions and return to the oven to cook uncovered for a further 1 hour.
6. Remove the lamb and baby onions from the casserole. Pour the pan juices through a fine sieve to make a smooth sauce.
7. Serve the lamb in slices with the onions, some buttery mashed potatoes and the sauce.
Rate This Recipe