- Serves: Makes 8-10 buns
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes plus 24 hrs resting
- Effort: medium
- 26 g fresh yeast
- 750 g strong bread flour
- 75 g caster sugar
- 15 g salt
- 9 whole eggs
- 450 g butter, softened
- soured cream, or plain yoghurt, so serve
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
1. To make the brioche dough, mix the yeast with 2 tablespoons of lukewarm water to dissolve. Sieve the flour, sugar and salt together into a mixer with a dough hook attached.
2. Add the eggs and mix until you have a smooth dough. Slowly add the butter around 50g at a time and mix until all the butter has been incorporated.
3. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, until it starts slapping against the sides of the bowl. Allow to rest in the fridge for 24 hours before using.
4. Mix the poppy seeds, honey, almonds and butter together in a bowl and beat until thick and creamy.
5. Roll out the brioche dough to form a rectangle about 30x20cm. Spread the filling evenly over the dough and roll up into a large sausage.
6. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Cut the dough into 2cm thick slices and lay on a non-stick baking sheet. Leave to rise for about 30 minutes.
7. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the buns are golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a rack.
8. Serve warm or cold with sour cream or plain yoghurt.
Rate This Recipe