- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus fermenting and rising
- Effort: medium
- 6-8 strawberries, sliced
- 125 ml balsamic vinegar
- 200 g spinach leaves
- 150 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 smoked chicken breasts
- 50 g pecan halves, roughly broken
For the dressing:
- 65 ml strawberry balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 250 ml olive oil
For the flatbread:
- 2 tsp fresh yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 350 ml warm water
- 750 g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
1. First prepare the flatbread. In a bowl, mix together the yeast, sugar and warm water and set in a warm place for 15 minutes.
2. Sift the flour and salt into an electric mixer with a dough hook attachment or a mixing bowl.
3. Work in the yeast mix and the olive oil. Mix or knead until smooth and elastic.
4. Cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place for 1 hour until risen.
5. Divide the dough into 8 even-sized balls and roll into discs.
6. Preheat a griddle pan until hot.
7. Brush the dough discs with olive oil and cook in batches on the hot griddle pan until risen, then turn to cook the other side.
8. Meanwhile, make the salad. First make the dressing. Whisk together the strawberry balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, garlic, shallot and olive oil until the mixture emulsifies.
9. To make the salad, toss together the strawberries, balsamic vinegar, baby spinach, Cheddar, smoked chicken and pecans. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and toss with the dressing.
10. Serve the salad with the freshly cooked flatbread.
Rate This Recipe