- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the soup
- glug olive oil, for frying
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 400 g cooked beetroot, diced
- 1 litres chicken stock
- 1 tbsp soured cream
- 1 smoked duck breast, cut into 1cm dice
- 4 tbsp soured cream
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- thick balsamic vinegar, or olive oil, for drizzling
Tips and Suggestions
To make this dish vegetarian, use vegetable stock and swap the smoked duck for smoked tofu.
1. For the soup: heat a glug of olive oil in a saucepan and sweat the onion until soft but not coloured. Add the beetroot and mix until hot through.
2. Add the stock to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 2-3 minutes or until the beetroot is very soft and the chicken stock has turned a vibrant dark pink colour. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3. Remove the soup from the heat and use a stick blender to blend it until smooth. Stir in a tablespoon of soured cream.
4. To serve: place some diced duck into the bottom of each bowl and pour over the hot soup. Combine the chives and remaining sour cream, then top the soup off with a spoonful of this mixture. Finish each portion with a little drizzle of syrupy balsamic vinegar, or olive oil.
Rate This Recipe