- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 beetroot, leaves reserved
- 200 g smoked eel
- 2 tbsp finely grated fresh horseradish
- 4 fennel tops, fronds picked
- ½ lemons, juice only
- red wine vinegar, to taste
- olive oil, for drizzling
1. Remove the stalk from the beetroot, reserving the small green leaves. Finely chop 4-5 of the large leaves and set aside.
2. Cook the beetroot in a small saucepan of boiling water for 30 or so minutes, or until tender. Drain and cool.
3. Peel the beetroot and, using the vegetable peeler, peel strips off the beetroot and arrange on two serving plates.
4. Thinly slice the smoked eel lengthways and arrange on top of the beetroot.
5. Sprinkle over the fresh horseradish and finely chopped beetroot leaves, then scatter with the fennel fronds and small beetroot leaves.
6. Squeeze the lemon juice over the eel and beetroot along with a drizzle of red wine vinegar. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Rate This Recipe