- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 large onion
- 75 g butter
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 350 g herring
- 500 ml double cream
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C C/gas 2.
2. Finely slice the onion. Melt 50g of butter in a frying pan and cook until golden brown.
3. Peel the potatoes and cut into thick slices. Roughly shred the pickled herring and set aside.
4. Brush the inside of a casserole dish with melted butter and place a single layer of potatoes over the bottom of the dish.
5. Cover with a thin layer of onions, followed by some of the fish. Season with pepper and continue layering the dish, finishing with the potatoes on top.
6. Pour over the double cream, and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
7. Drizzle with a tablespoon or so of melted butter and
Bake for 2 hours until the topping is crisp and the potatoes are cooked. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe