- Serves: 2-3
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 200 g smoked mackerel fillet, flaked
- 15 ml lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- slices of crusty bread, to serve
For the fennel salad
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 lime, juice only
- olive oil
- ¼ red onions
- small bunch coriander, finely chopped
1. For the fennel salad: in a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, lime juice and olive oil to taste, to make a vinaigrette dressing. Season with sea salt and set aside until ready to serve.
2. Slice the fennel on a mandolin and put into iced water (this shocks the vegetable and makes it extra crisp). Slice the red onion finely and add to the fennel in the iced water.
3. Melt the butter in a heavy-based frying pan and fry the onion until translucent. Add the chilli, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook until the mixture is soft.
4. Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Fold in the flaked fish, lemon juice and parsley, and season to taste.
5. Drain the fennel and onion well. Put into a bowl with the coriander and toss with the dressing.
6. To serve, toast the bread slices, top with the mackerel mixture and scatter over a generous handful of the salad.
Rate This Recipe