- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the mayonnaise
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Mission Mexican Signature paste
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 200 ml oil, half olive and half vegetable
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar
For the tortillas
- 300 g smoked mackerel fillet, (or any smoked fish/fresh raw mackerel, cut as for sushi)
- fresh tomato salsa
- 1 cos lettuce, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- deep fried shallots, optional
1. For the mayonnaise: put the egg yolks in a food processor with the mustard, the Mission Mexican paste, a good pinch of salt and the garlic and whiz to combine. With the motor running, slowly drip the oil through the funnel of the food processor until the mayonnaise starts to thicken and emulsify, at which time you can pour the oil in a thin stream.
2. Add half the vinegar and the sugar and taste (it may not need the other half). Season and add more Mission Mexican paste if you like the mayonnaise spicier and smokier. Cut out rounds of tortilla about 4-5 cm across. Fry or bake the rounds until crisp and golden.
3. Flake the smoked mackerel with a fork and mix into the fresh tomato salsa. Spread each tostada generously with the mayonnaise and top with shredded lettuce.
4. Spoon over the smoked mackerel salsa and top with a slice of avocado. Squeeze over a little lime juice and, if you like, sprinkle with deep fried shallots.
Recipe provided by Mission Mexican
Rate This Recipe