- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus at least 30 mins marinating
- Effort: medium
For the marinated lamb
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1x2 kg leg of lamb, boned and butterflied (small bones removed to leave a piece of meat shaped like butterfly wings)
For the aubergine salad
- 300 ml vegetable or olive oil
- 2 aubergines, topped and tailed, cut into batons
- 80 g flat-leafleaves parsley
- 50 g mint leaves
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 300 g cherry tomatoes
For the tahini yogurt dressing
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 400 ml Greek yogurt
- 120 ml tahini
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1. For the marinated lamb: pound the garlic with the sea salt in a pestle and mortar; add the paprika and olive oil. Lay the lamb flat and rub all over with the marinade.
2. Leave at room temperature for 30 minutes or overnight in the fridge - remove the lamb 30 minutes before cooking if you do so.
3. Heat a griddle pan and cook the lamb skin side down over a medium heat for about 10-15 minutes. Turn over and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes. Remove the lamb and rest for 10 minutes, loosely covered with foil.
4. For the aubergine salad: heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the aubergines until brown. Alternatively heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 180C and cook for about 3 minutes. Drain well and leave to cool.
5. Mix the cooled aubergine with the herbs, onions and tomatoes and season with salt. The aubergines are best made ahead of time.
6. For the tahini yogurt: pound the garlic and salt in a pestle and mortar until smooth; transfer to a bowl and mix with the yogurt, tahini, lemon juice and cumin. Whisk in about 5 tablespoons water and season to taste.
7. Dress the aubergine salad with the tahini yogurt.
8. To serve: slice the meat and serve with the aubergine salad.
Rate This Recipe