- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 12 slices of smoked salmon
- 12 tbsps of crème fraîche
- lemon wedges, to serve
For the potato blinis:
- 225 g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- black pepper
- 45 ml milk
- 75 g self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 45 ml soured cream
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
For the vegetable relish:
- 75 ml white wine vinegar
- 30 g caster sugar
- 225 g cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 75 g radishes, cut into thin strips
- 1 spring onion, cut into thin strips
- 5 g mustard seeds
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender; drain well and mash with the milk.
2. Transfer the mashed potato to a mixing bowl and allow to cool. Beat in the flour, egg yolks and soured cream. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Using a metal spoon carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the potato mixture.
4. Heat a little oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add 3-4 separate tablespoons of the potato blini mixture. Fry over medium heat until set, then turn the potato blinis over and fry briefly so that both sides are lightly browned. Remove and keep warm. Repeat the process until all the potato mixture has been used.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Heat the vinegar and sugar together in a small pan. Bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes, then set aside to cool. Stir in the cucumber, radish, spring onion and mustard seeds.
6. To serve, put two potato blinis on each serving plate. Top each blini with a dollop of crème fraiche and then a slice of smoked salmon. Put a spoonful of the pickled vegetables on top of the salmon and garnish with a lemon wedge on the side.
Rate This Recipe