- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 50 g bulgur wheat
- 350 g tomatoes, halved, seeds removed and diced
- 4 spring onions, very finely shredded on the diagonal
- 3 x 20 g packet flat leaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped mint
- preserved lemons, seeds removed and very finely chopped
- 300 g smoked trout fillets
For the dressing
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- pinches ground allspice
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
For the herby yogurt
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp chopped dill
1. Tip the bulgar wheat into a large bowl and cover with hot water; leave to stand for about 20 minutes to swell up.
2. Tip into a sieve set over a plate; leave on one side to drain.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Pour the lemon juice into a screw-topped jar with the garlic and allspice. Season to taste, and shake until the salt has dissolved. Add the olive oil and shake again until well combined.
4. Tip the drained bulgar wheat into a bowl and add the tomatoes, spring onions, parsley, mint and preserved lemon. Pour over the dressing and stir gently until well combined.
5. Flake the smoked trout fillets into large chunks, discarding any skin and bone. Fold gently through the bulgar wheat mixture, reserving a few chunks for the top of each serving.
6. Mix the Greek yogurt in a small bowl with the dill and enough water to give the consistency of pouring cream. Season to taste.
7. To serve, divide the smoked trout and tabbouleh among 4 serving plates and scatter the reserved trout on top; drizzle the dill yogurt over.
Rate This Recipe