- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1-2 weeks maturing
- Effort: easy
- 450 g shortcrust pastry
- 285 g smoked trout, boned, skinned and flaked
- 2 eggs
- 275 ml single cream
- grated zest of 1 lemons
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chervil
- mixed salad leaves, to serve
For the blackberry vinaigrette:
- 300 ml white wine vinegar
- 225 g blackberries
- sugar, to taste
1. Make the blackberry vinaigrette 1-2 weeks in advance of the smoked trout tartlets. Heat the vinegar, blackberries and sugar in a saucepan until the blackberries collapse and the sugar dissolves. Transfer to a jar and store in a cool, dark place to mature for 1-2 weeks.
2. Roll out the shortcrust pastry finely. Use the pastry to line 6 greased tartlet tins. Place the pastry cases in the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
4. Divide the smoked trout among the pastry cases and place on a baking sheet.
5. Beat together the eggs, cream and lemon zest. Season with sea-salt and freshly ground pepper and mix in the chervil.
6. Spoon the egg mixture over the smoked trout.
7. Bake the filled tarts for 30 minutes until golden.
8. Serve the smoked trout tartlets warm from the oven with a mixed leaf salad, drizzled with the blackberry vinaigrette.
Rate This Recipe