- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 50 g demerara sugar
- 50 g long grain rice
- 10 tea bags, torn open and the bags discarded
- 2 lemons
- 2 trout, fresh, each 300g, heads removed
- 50 ml olive oil
- 100 g wild garlic, (or substitute rocket)
- 8 gherkin
- 20 capers
- 50 g parmesan, grated
- 1 pinches black pepper
1. Put the sugar, rice and tea leaves into a bowl and mix together.
2. Line a deep roasting tin with kitchen foil and pour in the mixture. Cover with another layer of foil and then place on to the hob to heat up.
3. Quarter one of the lemons and insert two pieces into the body cavity of each fish.
4. When the tea mixture starts to smoke, place the trout on top of the kitchen foil. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, making sure the fish sits on the foil and the oil doesn't leak out underneath.
5. Season with salt and pepper, and cover with more kitchen foil. Leave to smoke on the hob, over a moderate heat, for 15-20 minutes.
6. While the trout is cooking, make the pesto. Roughly chop the wild garlic leaves. Add the gherkins, capers and Parmesan cheese and chop together finely.
7. Stir in the juice from the remaining lemon, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
8. Serve the trout with the pesto and some buttered new potatoes.
Rate This Recipe