- Serves: 4 as a starter or 2 as a main course
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 clove garlic, sliced
- olive oil, for brushing
- black pepper
- 125 g ricotta cheese
- 50 g rocket, to garnish
For the smoky pesto:
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 20 g basil
- 50 g pine kernels
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 30 g parmesan, grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- a pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Slice the aubergines into 1cm thick discs.
3. In a cup, combine the garlic and olive oil; brush both sides of the aubergine discs with this garlic oil.
4. Place the aubergine discs on a baking sheet and seaso with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bake the aubergine until soft and barely golden - 20-30 minutes. Leave to cool.
6. To make the smoky pesto, place the smoked paprika, basil, pine nuts, garlic and Parmesan in a food processor. Blend into a paste, adding the olive oil at the end. Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.
7. Brush 4 ramekins lightly with olive oil and place a baked aubergine slice in each one. Top with about a tablespoon of ricotta, a generous spoonful of the smoky pesto, then another aubergine slice. Continue with another layer of ricotta, pesto, then aubergine.
8. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until sizzling.
9. Cool briefly before inverting - place a plate or tart tin base on top of each timbale, flip over, and slide onto plates. Scatter rocket leaves around the timbales and serve.
Rate This Recipe