- Serves: 4-8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hr to prove
- Effort: medium
For the dough
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 200 ml beer
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 350 g strong bread flour, plus more if necessary
For the pizza
- 250 ml tomato passata, (sieved tomatoes)
- 3 onions, sliced and slowly caramelised
- 250 g smoked lardons, crisped in a hot pan and drained
- 1 baby pineapple, roughly chopped
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 4 fresh mozzarella, each sliced into five
- 200 g parmesan, grated
- 2 tsp oregano, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chilli oil and crisp green salad, to serve
1. In a bowl, combine the yeast with the beer or water, honey, olive oil and salt. Leave for 5 minutes at room temperature to activate the yeast, then transfer to a food processor along with the flour and process until the dough forms a ball. The dough should be soft but not sticky. If it is too sticky, add a bit more flour and process for another couple of seconds.
2. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead thoroughly for 2 minutes, adding extra flour if necessary to form a smooth dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 230C/gas 8.
3. Divide the dough into 4 and roll into balls. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet, cover with a damp towel and leave to rest for 15 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll into 30cm rounds, each about 1cm thick.
4. Spread 2 tbsp of tomato sofrito on the base of each pizza, leaving a 5cm edge. Spread the caramelised onions on top, followed by the lardons, pineapple and cherry tomatoes. Top with the mozzarella, Parmesan, oregano and pepper.
5. Bake on a baking tray in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until crisp and bubbling. Leave to cool for two minutes before serving with a little chilli oil and a crisp green salad.
Rate This Recipe