- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the aubergine caviar
- 150 ml olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp choppedleaves rosemary
- 2 aubergines, diced
- 1 lemon, grated zest and juice
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
For the socca
- 250 g chickpea or gram flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml milk
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped mixed herbs, (such as oregano, chervil and chives)
- 150 ml single cream
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Pour the olive oil into a frying pan and cook the garlic over a gentle heat until softened but not coloured.
2. Add the rosemary and cook for another minute or so.
3. Stir in the aubergines and lemon juice. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook slowly for about 40 minutes, until the aubergine is very soft.
4. Stir in the lemon zest and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Add the basil, check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
6. To make the socca galette, place the flour, salt and pepper into a large bowl.
7. In a separate jug, mix the eggs, milk and olive oil. Pour over the chickpea flour and beat with an electric whisk until the mixture becomes a smooth batter.
8. Add the fresh herbs and cream. If the batter is too thick, add a little water.
9. Heat a little olive oil in a small non-stick frying pan and add a ladle full of batter. Cook for a minute or so, until the outside of the pancake starts to set.
10. Place under a grill for a further 2 minutes, until the mixture is set. Remove from the pan and keep warm in a low oven while you make another 3 galettes in the same way.
11. Place a socca galette on each of 4 plates and top with aubergine caviar. Drizzle a little olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar around the plate. Scatter over the parsley, garnish with a wedge of lemon and serve.
Rate This Recipe