- Serves: makes 16
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the leek salad
- 4 large leeks, sliced
- 200 g peas
- 200 g shelled broad beans
- 1 bunches dandelion leaves
For the vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 400 ml vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
For the batter
- 50 g plain flour
- 50 g cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 600 ml soda water
- 100 ml crushed ice
For the cheese
- 500 g Perl Wen cheese, (similar to Camembert) frozen for 1 hour
- 1 small bunches marjoram, finely chopped
- 8 slices air-dried ham, cut in half to make 16 pieces
- oil, for deep frying
- 1 squeeze lemon juice, to serve
1. Put the leeks, peas and broad beans into a pan of boiling salted water and cook for about 4-5 minutes until tender.
2. To make the vinaigrette; combine the Dijon mustard, egg yolk, vegetable oil, white wine vinegar and redcurrant jelly.
3. Drain the vegetables and pour the vinaigrette over the hot vegetables.
4. Leave to become cold and add the dandelion leaves.
5. Arrange the salad on a serving plate
6. To make the cheese fritters; mix all the batter ingredients together in a bowl.
7. Cut the frozen cheese into 2.5cm long rectangles about 3cm thick. Sprinkle with marjoram.
8. Wrap each piece of cheese in a slice of ham.
9. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer or large pan.
10. Dip the cheese slices into the batter and deep fry for 1 minute.
11. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
12. To serve; place the salad on a serving plate and drizzle with a squeeze of lemon juice. Arrange the fritters on top and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe