- Serves: makes 10
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the dressing
- 1 chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 12 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
- 100 ml olive oil
For the crabs
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 100 g plain flour
- 200 g cornflour, plus extra for dusting
- about 200 ml ice-cold soda water
- 10 soft shell crab, thawed if frozen
1. For the dressing: mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste, season with salt, and if the lime is really sour, add a pinch of sugar.
2. For the crabs: fill a wok or high-sided saucepan half-full with oil and place over a high heat. Put the flour and cornflour in a large bowl. Whisk in enough ice-cold soda water to make a thick batter, making sure not to whisk too much the batter should be lumpy. Drop a little into the oil to test whether its hot enough the batter should sizzle and begin to turn golden within 20 seconds.
3. Heat the oven to 120C/100C fan/gas ½ and line a baking sheet with kitchen paper. Season the crabs with salt and pepper and dust lightly with cornflour. Working a few at a time, dip the crabs in the batter and shake off any excess. Carefully place the crabs in the hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon or spider, place on the paper-lined tray and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining crabs.
4. Once all the crabs are cooked, sprinkle them with a little sea salt and serve hot with the dipping sauce.
Rate This Recipe