- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the grilled vegetables (optional)
- 1 sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 courgettes, cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed, cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed, cut into strips
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the chicken
- 1 heaped tbsp cayenne pepper
- 150 g plain flour
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into thick strips
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunches spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 blood oranges, juice only (see Cook's note)
- 30 g butter
- boiled rice
- ½ tsp mustard powder
Tips and Suggestions
Cook's note blood oranges are in season during the winter months. If you can't get blood oranges use regular oranges.
1. For the grilled vegetables: blanch the sweet potato in boiling water for around 3-4 minutes until it is just starting to soften, but not cooked all the way through. Strain and cool.
2. Preheat a griddle pan over a high heat. Toss the vegetables in the olive oil.
3. Add the courgettes to the griddle pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until charred in places. Transfer to a plate.
4. Repeat with the peppers, in batches, the sweet potato and finally the red onion, until all the vegetables are cooked. Set aside and keep warm.
5. For the chicken: mix together the cayenne pepper and flour. Season the chicken with the ground black pepper then roll in the cayenne pepper flour, coating all over.
6. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes. Add the spring onion and cook for 2-3 more minutes or until the chicken is lightly golden brown and cooked through.
7. Pour in the blood orange juice and simmer for 1 minute, then stir in the butter and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced in volume by half.
8. Serve the chicken with the grilled vegetables and rice and sprinkle over the mustard powder.
Rate This Recipe