- Serves: about 30 slices
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 425 g sultanas
- 255 ml cider
- 255 g soft margarine
- 340 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 425 g plain flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 340 g cooking apples, (prepared weight), peeled, cored and chopped
1. Put the sultanas in a bowl and pour over the cider. Cover and leave to soak at room temperature overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and line a 24cm cake tin.
3. Cream the margarine and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy, then gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder and mixed spice together, then fold this into the creamed mixture. Fold in the sultanas and their soaking liquid and the apples, mixing well.
5. Spoon the mixture to the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours, until risen, firm and golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and to cool completely.
Rate This Recipe