- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 30 g butter
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 medium Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 kg skinless chicken drumsticks, and thighs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 155 ml boiling water
- 155 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the chilli spinach
- 255 g spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- ½ tsp brown orblack mustard seeds
- 1 medium dried chilli
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 small Spanish onion, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- chopped coriander, to garnish
- cooked basmati rice, to serve
1. Melt the oil and butter together in a heavy-based saucepan and add the onions. Fry over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes, until golden.
2. Add the chicken and salt and fry for 6 minutes, until browned all over. Cover and cook on a low heat for 18 - 20 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
3. Stir in the chilli powder and garam masala and cook, uncovered for a further 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add the boiling water, coconut milk and lemon juice and simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Wash the spinach.
6. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan and add the mustard seeds. Cook for a minute or so, until they start to splutter.
7. Add the chilli, the curry leaves and half of the onion. Season with salt and stir in the spinach. Cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes so that the spinach begins to wilt.
8. Using a food processor or pestle and mortar, blend the garlic, green chilli, coconut and the remaining onion into a coarse paste.
9. Add this mixture to the spinach and cook for 3 minutes over a low heat.
10. Serve the chicken with the spinach and garnish with coriander leaves. Plain basmati rice makes a fabulous accompaniment.
Rate This Recipe