- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: plus overnight marinating
- Effort: medium
- 600 ml buttermilk or single cream
- 6 tbsp chopped coriander
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 600 ml vegetable oil
For the Sweetcorn fritters:
- 4 corn on the cobs
- 300 ml milk
- 60 g plain flour
- a pinch of paprika
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp celery salt
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp clear honey
- unsalted butter, for frying
For the Bacon-wrapped bananas:
- 4 bananas
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
1. Combine the buttermilk or cream with the coriander, garlic, shallot, chilli flakes and salt in a large dish. Add the chicken, turn to coat, and cover. Leave to marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Combine the flour with the celery salt, cayenne, black pepper and paprika. Lift the chicken from the marinade and dip in the spiced flour to coat. Place the chicken in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the sweetcorn fritters. Remove the corn kernels from the cobs. Blend half the kernels with the milk and pass through a fine sieve to make a smooth purée. Combine the remaining kernels with this purée.
4. Combine the flour with the paprika, baking powder, salt, celery salt and cayenne pepper.
5. Beat the egg yolks together then whisk into the flour mixture. Fold in the corn mixture, followed by the honey. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
6. Heat the oil in a wok or deep fat-fryer until hot.
7. Fry the chicken in hot oil for 10 minutes each side until thoroughly cooked and golden.
8. Meanwhile, cook the sweetcorn fritters. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Mix 1 spoonful into the corn batter to slacken the mixture, then carefully fold in the remainder.
9. Heat a little unsalted butter in a large non-stick frying pan. Drop tablespoons of the corn mixture into the pan and cook until you see small bubbles appearing on the surface of the fritters, about 1 and a half minutes, then turn over and cook for a further 30-45 seconds. Keep warm while cooking the remainder.
10. Meanwhile, preheat the grill. Wrap each banana in a bacon rasher. Grill until the bacon is crispy.
Rate This Recipe