- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.3 kg chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 225 g boneless pork shoulder, cubed
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 225 g okra, cut into rounds
- 2 tsp tabasco
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 225 g French andouille, Spanish chorizo or smoked Polish kielbasa sausage, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 300 g rice
- 450 g raw tiger prawns, with their heads on
- 225 ml chicken stock
- crusty French bread, to serve
- plenty of beer
1 Heat the oil in a heavy-based casserole dish. Add in the chicken and fry until browned on all sides, then remove the chicken to a heated plate.
2 Add in the pork and fry until browned.
3 Pour off half the fat from the casserole and add in the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic and fry gently for 3 minutes.
4 Add in the tomatoes, okra, Tabasco, bay leaf, salt, oregano, thyme, allspice and parsley, mixing well.
5 Return the chicken to the casserole dish and add in the andouille. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
6 Mix in the rice and prawns, then add in the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently over a low heat for 30 minutes, stirring often, until the rice is tender. Add more stock or water as needed if the rice begins to stick to the bottom of the dish.
7 Serve with crusty French bread and plenty of beer.
Rate This Recipe