- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hour chilling
- Effort: easy
For the tortillas
- 225 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100 g cornmeal, or polenta (optional)
- 55 g lard or butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs, (optional)
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning, (optional)
- 1 handful coriander, or parsley (optional)
- 120 ml water
For the fajitas
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 100 g mushrooms, sliced
- 200 g aubergines, diced
- 6-10 baby sweetcorn
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 500 g sirloin steaks, thinly sliced
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- soured cream
1. For the tortillas: sift the flour and cornmeal, if using, into a mixing bowl. Add the lard or butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in 1 tsp salt, and any other fresh herb or dried herbs or seasoning of your choice.
2. Add half of the water, mixing well, then slowly pour in the remaining water while mixing until the mixture comes together to form a dough (you may not need all of the water). Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for about one hour in the fridge.
3. Divide the dough into ten equal pieces and shape each one into a ball. Roll out each ball, on a lightly floured work surface, into a thin disc about 15cm/6in in diameter. Stack each rolled out tortilla on top of each other, separated by greaseproof paper.
4. Heat a griddle or cast-iron frying pan over a moderate heat until very hot. Cook the tortillas, one or two at a time (depending on the size of your pan), for 20-30 seconds on each side, or until bubbles appear on the surface and they are lightly browned. As the tortillas are cooked, stack them up on a plate and keep covered with a clean tea towel. Keep warm.
5. For the fajitas: heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed frying pan and add the onion and vegetables, Cajun seasoning and chilli flakes. Fry for about 1-2 minutes, then move the vegetables to the side and add the steak slices.
6. Fry the steak for about one minute, then toss with the vegetables. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and some more Cajun seasoning, to taste.
7. To serve, spoon the beef and vegetable mixture onto a tortilla wrap and spoon over some salsa, guacamole and soured cream to taste before rolling up.
Rate This Recipe