- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: easy
For the chicken
- 1 chicken breast, sliced
- stem ginger syrup, from a jar of stem ginger
- splashes soy sauce, or kecuop manis (see cook's note)
- vegetable oil, for frying
For the sauce
- 1 shallot, sliced into fine rings
- 1 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- pinches ground cinnamon
- pinches ground cumin
- pinches dried red chilli flakes
- pinches ground ginger
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
For the stir fry
- handfuls purple sprouting broccoli
- 2.5 cm piece ginger, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- small handful curly kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
- small handful cavolo nero, sliced across the stalk
- small handful baby spinach leaves
Tips and Suggestions
Cooks note: Kecuop manis is an Indonesian sweet soy sauce available from specialist Asian stores.
1. For the chicken: put the chicken in a small non-reactive bowl, add the ginger syrup and soy (or kecuop manis) and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. For the sauce: heat a dash of vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the shallots until softened, but not browned. Add the ginger, garlic and spices and fry for a few more minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until thickened slightly. Whisk in the coconut milk and keep warm.
3. To cook the chicken: heat another dash of vegetable oil in a wok and fry the chicken slices until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the wok and set aside in a warm place to rest.
4. For the stir fry add a little more vegetable oil to the wok if necessary and stir fry the purple-sprouting broccoli for a few minutes. Add the chopped ginger, garlic and chilli and fry for another minute.
5. Stir in the kale, cavolo nero and spinach and a splash of water to create enough steam to cook the leaves.
6. Once the leaves are cooked through, serve the vegetables in serving bowls, topped with the chicken and the sauce.
Rate This Recipe