- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2 hrs to marinate
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp jasmine rice
- 2 dried chillies
- 500 g tuna steaks
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 75 ml ketjap manis, (sweet soy sauce)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 red shallots, finely sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- handfuls mint leaves, roughly chopped
- handfuls coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- handfuls basil
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
1. Toast the rice and chillies in a dry frying pan on a medium heat until golden brown. Grind to a powder in a spice or coffee grinder and set aside.
2. On a griddle pan, or in a hot frying pan, sear the tuna on both sides over a high heat for about 2 minutes, until well-marked outside and rare inside. Rest in a bowl for 10 minutes.
3. Combine the sesame oil with the kecap manis and pour over the tuna. Leave in the fridge to marinate for 2 hours, turning from time to time.
4. Dissolve the sugar in the lime juice and fish sauce to make the salad dressing.
5. Peel, halve lengthways and remove the seeds from the cucumber; cut into 1cm slices.
6. Combine the cucumber, shallots, cherry tomatoes, red chillies, herbs and spring onions in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing and some of the ground rice mix.
7. Cut the tuna into thin, even slices.
8. Pile the salad high on a large plate and arrange the tuna slices around the salad.
9. Brush the tuna with the marinade just before serving and sprinkle with a little more ground rice.
Rate This Recipe