- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 30 mins resting
- Effort: easy
- 110 ml dark soy sauce
- 110 ml light soy sauce
- 2 clove garlic, finely diced
- 4 tbsp white sugar
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 110 ml water
- jasmine rice, to serve
For the stir-fried asparagus and garlic:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 65 ml chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp chinese black vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
1. First prepare the soy sauce chicken wings. Combine the dark and light soy sauces, garlic and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl, transfer to a wok and bring to the boil.
2. Add the chicken wings and return to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
3. Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce, and continue to cook until it becomes a rich caramel colour.
4. Turn off the heat and leave for half an hour.
5. When you are ready to eat, place the wok over a high heat, add the extra sugar and the water and stir to caramelise further.
6. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
7. Around 5 minutes before the chicken has completed cooking, cook the stir-fried asparagus. Heat a wok, add in the oil and heat through.
8. Add in the asparagus and the sea salt and stir-fry for 1 minute.
9. Add in the garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute.
10. Pour in the wine and stir-fry for a further 10 seconds, then add in the stock and simmer for 2 minutes or until the asparagus is just tender.
11. Add in the vinegar and sesame oil, stir to combine, then serve at once.
12. Serve the chicken wings on a large bed of cooked jasmine rice with the stir-fried asparagus and garlic.
Rate This Recipe