- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
for the red master stock
- 6 litres cold water
- 675 ml shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 450 ml dark soy sauce
- 225 ml light soy sauce
- 450 g brown sugar
- 12 cloves garlic, crushed
- 115 g slices fresh ginger
- 8 spring onions, halved
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 10 star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 7 slivers orange zest
For the soya sauce chicken wings
- 12 large chicken wings
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, caps only, sliced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
For the salad
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed
- 40 g button mushrooms, caps only, finely sliced
- 40 g spinach leaves, or rocket leaves
- 115 g spring onions, shredded
- 1 handfuls mint leaves, finely sliced
- 75 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 55 ml lemon juice
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp sea salt
- pinches ground white pepper
- 1 bunches spring onions, shredded, to garnish
1. Place all the ingredients for the stock together in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 40 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
2. Lower the chicken wings into simmering stock and cover with a piece of greaseproof paper to ensure they are fully submerged. Simmer gently for exactly 7 minutes (there should be no more than an occasional ripple on the surface).
3. Remove the pan from the cooker and allow the wings to steep in the stock for 15 minutes at room temperature to complete the cooking process.
4. Place 550ml of the stock in a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat stir in the shiitake mushrooms and sugar. Simmer for about 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.
5. Using a large slotted spoon gently remove the wings from the stock.
6. Cut the fennel in half length ways, remove and discard the coarse outer layer and slice the fennel into thin slices. Combine with the remaining salad ingredients.
7. Arrange the chicken wings on a platter and spoon over the reduced stock and mushrooms. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve with the fennel and mushroom salad.
Rate This Recipe