- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300 g spaghetti
- 120 g pancetta, cut into 1-1.5cm cubes
- 4 egg yolks
- 90 g pecorino cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- basil, to garnish
1. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large, deep frying pan, gently fry the pancetta until golden, so that the fat renders down.
3. In a bowl or jug, lightly whisk the egg yolks together with some freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of salt. Add a large ladleful of the pasta cooking liquid (about 240ml) to the yolks and mix quickly. Next, add the cheese and stir to combine.
4. Drain the pasta, reserving some more of the cooking water.
5. Tip the spaghetti into the pan of pancetta, add the cheesy yolk mixture and and toss well. Thin as required with the reserved pasta cooking water.
6. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Garnish with basil and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe