- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the meatballs
- 500 g minced pork
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 slices bread, soaked in milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the tomato and roasted red pepper sauce
- 2 red peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 500 g passata
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp basil, finely chopped
- 300 g spaghetti
- Fresh basil leaves
- parmesan shavings
Tips and Suggestions
Good quality sausages can make a great shortcut if you are in a hurry. Remove the skins and roll the sausage meat into balls.
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and place a large pan of salted water on to boil.
2. Cut the peppers in half and deseed. Place in the oven on a hot baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes while you prepare the meatballs and sauce.
3. For the meatballs: place the mince in a large bowl and add the crushed garlic. Squeeze the milk from the slice of bread and add the softened bread to the mince, along with the beaten egg.
4. Using your hands mix the mince well so that all the ingredients are well combined. Add the remaining ingredients and mix again.
5. Divide the mix into 20 and roll into small, walnut sized balls.
6. Place a large frying pan on a high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot add the meatballs to the pan and fry, turning frequently, until they are evenly browned and cooked through.
7. Remove them from the pan and place on kitchen towel to remove any excess grease before adding to the sauce.
8. For the sauce: finely dice the onion and crush the garlic. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onions and garlic and fry until the onion has softened.
9. When the onion is soft add the passata, mixed herbs and sugar. Mix well then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
10. Remove the roasted peppers from the oven, remove as much skin as possible and then slice the flesh and add to the sauce.
11. Pour the sauce into a blender and blitz until you have a fairly smooth sauce. Stir in the crème fraiche and return the sauce to the pan over a medium heat. Add the meatballs to the sauce and keep the pan on the heat until you are ready to serve.
12. Just before serving stir through the chopped basil.
13. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
14. Divide the pasta equally between four pasta bowls, top with the meatballs and spoon over the remaining sauce. Finally top with the fresh basil leaves and parmesan shavings and serve.
Rate This Recipe