- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil, or sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 slices Parma ham, excess fat removed and chopped
- 250 g lean minced lamb
- 400 g green lentils, with no added salt, drained
- 400 g canned plum tomatoes, in natural juice
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp oregano, chopped plus extra to garnish
- 280 g spaghetti, snapped in half
- freshly grated parmesan, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
The bolognese sauce is even better if made a day ahead so the flavours can develop. For a touch of greenery, serve with a little pile of rocket on top.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, tip in the onion and garlic and fry for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and starting to colour. Mix in the Parma ham and fry for another 2 minutes. Stir in the mince and cook for a few minutes, stirring to break it up, until it is no longer pink.
2. Tip in the lentils, tomatoes, carrots, tomato purée and the oregano, some pepper and a pinch of salt. Fill the empty tomato can 1/3 full with water, swish it around to gather up excess tomato juices and pour into the pan. Stir together, breaking up the tomatoes, then bring to a simmer. Half cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring every now and then.
3. Just before ready to serve, cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes (or according to packet instructions). Drain well. Serve the spaghetti topped with the bolognese sauce, extra oregano and a little parmesan.
Rate This Recipe