- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, trimmed but unpeeled
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 250 g smoked trout fillets
- freshly ground black pepper
- a few sprigs of flat leaf parsley, or finely chopped oreganoto garnish
- 200-250g dried spaghetti
1. Empty the canned chopped tomatoes into a small saucepan. Add the unpeeled onion half, olive oil, bay leaf and some freshly ground black pepper. Bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick and pulpy. Use the spoon to crush the pieces of tomato flesh against the sides of the pan to help them break down.
2. Meanwhile, break the smoked trout fillets into flakes and remove any stray pin bones. When the sauce has almost finished cooking, bring large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions until al dente.
3. Remove the onion and bay leaf from the tomato sauce and discard. Stir in the smoked trout flakes and allow to heat through gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Drain the spaghetti thoroughly and toss with the prepared sauce until evenly coated. Garnish with parsley or oregano and some more freshly ground black pepper before serving hot.
Rate This Recipe