- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunches spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 kg spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 100 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 110 g butter
- 8-10 sheets filo pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Heat the oil in a lidded frying pan and fry the spring onions for a few minutes, until softened but not browned. Add the spinach and toss until it begins to wilt. Cover and cook gently for 5 minutes.
3. Allow the spinach to cool a little before adding salt, freshly ground black pepper, parsley, nutmeg, feta and eggs. Mix well.
4. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and brush a little of it across the base of a large, deep baking tin or oven dish with a pastry brush.
5. Arrange 4-5 sheets of filo across the buttered base, brushing between each layer with melted butter.
6. Spoon the spinach filling over the filo sheets and cover with 4-5 more sheets of filo, brushing alternate layers with melted butter as before. Tuck the sides under neatly and brush with more butter on top.
7. Bake for about 40 minutes and then increase the heat to 200C/gas 6 for another 5 minutes until the top is golden-brown. Serve hot or cold.
Rate This Recipe