- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 15 mins soaking
- Effort: easy
- 700 g floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper, thinly sliced
- 300 ml olive oil
- 300 ml sunflower oil
- 500 g white onions, thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
1. Soak the potato slices in a big bowl of salted water for 15 minutes. Drain and dry thoroughly with kitchen roll or tea towels - this removes excess starch and prevents discoloration.
2. Put 50ml oil in a 26cm non-stick frying pan. Over a low heat, gently sweat the onions for 8 minutes until softened - be sure they don't brown.
3. Turn the heat up to medium and add the remaining oil. Once the oil has heated through, carefully put in the potato slices. The oil should just cover the contents of the pan. Season very generously, and cook gently for 3035 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Lightly whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt. Drain and discard the excess oil from the cooked potato and onion mixture, then add the vegetables to the eggs and stir to combine.
5. Return the ingredients to the pan and cook on a mediumlow heat for 1520 minutes. Once the top surface of the omelette appears firm enough, free the sides using a palette knife, place a plate over the top of the omelette and invert the pan to release the omelette onto the plate. Carefully slide the inverted omelette back into the pan and cook on the other side for another 5 minutes until cooked through.
6. Slide or invert the omelette onto a serving plate and leave to cool.
Rate This Recipe