- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 80 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 250 g cooked medium grain rice
- 170 g dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped sage
- 6 x 500 g chicken
- 1 kg pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 unpeeled red onions, quartered
- 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 75 ml honey
- 75 ml red wine vinegar
- fresh bay leaves, to serve
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and celery, cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and orange zest and cook stirring for 1 minute more.
2. Add the rice, dried cranberries and sage and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
4. Rinse the cavity of each spatchcock and pat dry with kitchen paper. Fill the cavity of each chicken with the rice stuffing and secure with a toothpick.
5. Place the birds in a large roasting tin, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with some of the remaining olive oil. Place in preheated oven and roast for 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, place the pumpkin and onions in a bowl with the chilli flakes and the remaining olive oil. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss to coat in the chilli oil.
7. Add the pumpkin and onions to the roasting tin with the spatchcock. Return to the oven and roast for a further 35-40 minutes or until the juices of the spatchcock run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh and the pumpkin is golden.
8. Meanwhile, bring the honey and vinegar to the boil in a small pan, then simmer for 5 minutes.
9. To serve: place the roasted pumpkin and onion in a serving dish, drizzle with the honey mixture and scatter with fresh bay leaves. Serve with the spatchcock chickens.
Rate This Recipe